Folks — quite frankly, I don’t have a lot of time and extra energy for a CSA newsletter tonight. I’m finishing up some BIG final details for our quarry hearing tomorrow evening (see note below!) and that has eaten up all of my creative and thoughtful energy until it is over! Instead, I thought I’d hand over my usual task to Rusty today. He took his first photo ever last weekend (Casey and I needed someone to take a picture of us in costume), and it was a fun experience. So, I thought that maybe today Rusty could take care of getting photos for the newsletter. Here they are — Rusty’s views of what is interesting on the farm today:
Enjoy this week’s vegetables!
Your farmers, Katie & Casey Kulla
P.S. In sad news, today we also stopped by Blue Goat restaurant in Amity to say good-bye. They’ve closed their doors after six years of cooking up some awesome food for the locals (made with so many good local ingredients too!). Thanks to Cassie and Dave for a wonderful partnership these last six years, as well as so many wonderful meals. We will miss their cozy dining room and tasty food so very much.
~ ~ ~
Quarry hearing tomorrow, Thursday, Nov 3 at 7 pm! The Yamhill County Planning Commission hearing is in Room 32 at the Yamhill County Courthouse, 535 E 5th St, McMinnville, Oregon. If you’d like to come and be a warm body in the room in support of Grand Island farmers, please join us! We would be so heartened by your presence.
~ ~ ~
Meet this week’s vegetables:
- Brussels sprouts - these are loose (no stalk to wrangle home), and extra thoroughly washed to get little critters out!
- Arugula/radicchio mix — Some flavorful greens for a fall salad mix!
- Fennel bulbs
- Zucchini! — Yes, still!
- Tomatoes! — Yes, still! Both of these crops just keep on going. They will be done eventually though.
- Butternut squash
And this week’s extra goodies from the farm:
- Ground beef — The last beef from our farm for the foreseeable future! $10/lb
- Lamb — Also the last lamb from our farm for the foreseeable future! Chops are $14/lb; roasts/shanks are $12/lb; ground lamb is $10/lb; organs and bones are $6/lb.